“The Hill House” was originally built in 1907 for George Forbes by Chicago architects Frost (Navy Pier Auditorium) and Granger. In Rockford, the pair also designed the Harry Forbes home, now the University Club, 945 N. Main St. (1907) and the Chicago & Northwestern Railway Freight Station at 505 South Church and Cedar Streets (1902).
This architectural beauty has graced the corner lot at the intersection of Whitman and N. Main for over 100 years and unlike many historic homes of this era, the Hill House continued as a lived-in home until 2015. The electricity and plumbing were updated as time demanded yet most of the house retained its original interior including masterfully crafted one-of-a-kind windows, doors, stairways, banisters, hardwood flooring, fireplaces, built-in storage spaces and even period lamps, claw foot bathtubs and pedestal sinks: these architectural antiques still function (and look beautiful) today!
Deconstruction is a progressive approach to historical preservation. Many property owners have learned that maintaining a 100-year-old structure is cost prohibitive. Through the process of deconstruction which begins with soft-stripping, (removing individual fixtures and architectural antiques), and carefully deconstructing the house, one board, one tile, one shingle, one brick at a time, we share the financial burden and preserve the history by adding pieces of it to our own homes while still being able to park our cars, vital for today’s fast-moving lifestyle.